Tuesday, March 7, 2023

"Behind The Scenes" - with Tyrone Blue

Doug asked me to author an article for his readers about being behind the scenes at my DJ company.  I'd like people to know that not all DJs are alike... the cliché is "one DJ is pretty much the same as all DJs".  I'd be the first to admit, that this fits a lot of DJ companies, but there is a way to discover if you are getting the personality who doesn't "fit the mold" of what most folks think is normal.

First, I should mention what motivates any DJ (or, any entertainer for that matter) to get into the business.  Here's what I found when I first got started back in the early 90's.  You must have an interest in music.  I can remember back in the 60s (in the twin cities), listening to "True Don Blue" on the radio, and thinking how cool that would be to have thousands of people listen to you on the radio playing music.  The big stations were KDWB "channel 63" AM was the rival of WDGY 1130 AM.  FM radio was just getting started back then.  I used to sit with my Sears Realistic reel to reel tape recorder and record the music from both stations, so I could listen to music without all the talk and commercials.

The main problem for me was all the talking the DJs did while the song was "ramping" up and closing out at the end.  This was called "talking on the ramp". I had no way to delete the talking out of my tapes.  I had the music I wanted, but always with talking on the intro and outro.  I have hundreds of those old tapes, stored out in the garage, collecting dust.  Now-a-days, you can duplicate all that music in a few hours on the Internet.

Here's my first big tip to potential customers of any DJ company.  Who legally purchases their music, and who steals it?  If you hire a DJ company who downloads music illegally, and plays it at your event, then you are stealing it too.  I'd have to ask, do you want a thief working for you?  Is the cheaper price you pay for a discount DJ company worth the risk?  I'd like to list all of the "Dos & Don'ts".  If you truly don't care... then, I have nothing to say to you.  If you do care about the industry, and giving your guests the best you can give them, then I have lots of information to share with you.  Stay tuned!

NOTE: Larry is the owner of Tyrone Blue Entertainment" based out of Breezy Point.  He's been the "house DJ" at Breezy Point Resort for over 8 years, and designed and installed the lighting show at the Breezy Point Ice Arena.  He currently has 3 DJs on staff, and does weddings all over Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment